We understand our responsibilities to treat personal information with respect and acknowledge it is important to make you aware of how we collect, store, and disclose information you have shared with us. Our aim is to assist you to make an informed decision about sharing personal information with us.
When this policy refers to “KALAN KUXTAL GUATEMALA”, “KKGT”, “us”, “we” or “our” it refers to Kalan Kuxtal Guatemala Statistics and Evaluation Department, which is responsible as the Data Controller for the security and management of your personal information.
KKGT collects personal information about you through a number of sources, depending on the circumstances of your engagement with us. Personal information collected and held by KKGT may include:
• Your name, email address, contact details, gender, date of birth, dietary requirements, relevant medical background, nationality, level of education, school name and location, emergency contacts details, travel insurance details; and
• Details of volunteer programs you have either participated in or enquired about, including your travel details, program feedback and testimonials.
Personal data is either supplied by you directly to KKGT, or provided to us by someone representing you. Information not collected on our application form is additionally sourced via email and other direct volunteer communications, including social media. We may also collect personal information if you choose to enter our “Group Coordinators Program”, subscribe to our Information Bulletin or request a brochure or other document (such as a Letter of Recommendation).
Online payments are processed through a secure third-party site, and KKGT does not receive or have access to personal information such as bank or credit card details AND WE WILL NEVER REQUEST THAT INFORMATION FROM YOU.
We collect, hold and use selectively personal information about you in order to administer the function of selecting you as an eligible volunteer and placing you on one of our programs. In the performance of our normal business activities we may use your information in the following ways:
• To review your suitability for a selected volunteer program via an automated or manual method.
• To contact you through a range of mediums to discuss any engagement you may have had with us, including your confirmed volunteer program, any feedback you may have provided, or any other service you have requested us to perform.
• To allow a listed emergency contact or insurance provider to be updated about any details regarding your program, including sensitive personal information in circumstances involving emergencies or concerns about volunteer safety where it is appropriate for them or KKGT to act on your behalf.
• To meet the requirements of an institutional relationship or insurance policy.
• To make improvements to our programs, our website, applications and marketing, and to provide insights that help us to meet your needs better.
• To promote our volunteer programs. Feedback and testimonials provided, along with your name and images shared by KKGT volunteers may be used for marketing and promotion purposes.
• To produce research and analysis for the purposes of measuring and communicating the impact of volunteer programs on individuals.
In summary, we process your personal information for certain legitimate business purposes, which include:
• Presenting to you information that we believe will be of interest and relevance, through a range of marketing and communication channels.
• Identifying and recommending volunteer programs or associated services that we think may be of interest to you.
• Enhancing, modifying, personalizing or otherwise improving your experience on our website, marketing or communications.
• To better understand the effectiveness of our website, marketing and communications with you. We may choose to market and promote this information to you via a wide range of mediums based on personal information held.
Whenever we process your data for this purpose we will keep your personal information rights in high regard and take steps to safeguard personal information. You can opt-out of receiving marketing information, or allowing us to process your information for these purposes at any time by using ‘unsubscribe’ links, or contacting us directly.
We process this personal information on a number of legal grounds, including with your consent, for the purposes of providing services to you under an existing or potential contract, to comply with legal obligations imposed on us, to protect your vital interests (for example, in the case of medical emergencies) and/or for our legitimate interests where these are not overridden by your rights.
We will only use your personal information within KKGT for the purposes for which it was obtained. While we may share anonymized data with approved third-parties including Google, to perform services including marketing on our behalf, we do not provide your personal information to other third-parties without a lawful ground for that disclosure.
We will not, under any circumstances, share or sell your personal information with any third party for their own marketing purposes, and you will not receive marketing from any other companies, charities or other organizations as a result of giving your details to us.
We may share your personal information with:
Your emergency contact or insurer: In some circumstances, such as in emergencies or when volunteer safety is a concern, it is appropriate for KKGT to share your personal information with your listed emergency contact or your insurance provider.
Your university or school: Where a volunteer applies using a school or university email address, or indicates that they are a student of an educational institution, we may share your name, contact details and the program details with this institution.
We will also comply with legal requests where disclosure is required or permitted by law (for example to government bodies for tax purposes or law enforcement agencies for the prevention and detection of crime).
We are only permitted to store your personal information for as long as necessary having regard to the purposes for which it was collected or a related or ancillary purpose.
Therefore, we may delete your personal information after a reasonable period of time and, if you have not used our services for some time, you may have to re-enter or re-supply your personal information to us. At times, we may need to retain your information for a longer period where we need the information to comply with regulatory or legal requirements or where we may need it for our legitimate purposes. If we don’t need to retain information for this period of time, we may destroy, delete or anonymize it more promptly.
Although we try our best, KKGT does not guarantee that website visitors will have uninterrupted or error-free access to, and use of our website. We also can’t guarantee that any files that are able to be downloaded are error-free and free from viruses or other defects. All website users need to rely on their own judgement in relation to the accuracy, completeness and suitability of all content on the KKGT website.
We use both first-party cookies and third-party cookies on our website. By using our website, you agree to us using both types of cookies in the ways described below.
This helps us to identify ways that we can make the content of our website more relevant to you and enables us to present you with offers and specific program or service information that our data shows might be of use or interest to you, depending on your current level of engagement with us. These cookies also help to make our marketing and direct communications with you more relevant, and facilitate our ability to advertise on other websites.
Third-party cookies, including those provided by Google and Google Analytics are used on certain pages on our website. The information collected by these cookies is used for the purpose of compiling analytical reports that enable KKGT to measure and record the number of visits to various sections of our website, the average time spent on the site and the pages viewed. They do not allow Google to collect any personal information from any users of our website, but they do enable Google to show our advertisements to internet users based on their previous use of our website.
Neither KKGT, nor any third-party, store any personal information in cookie data. Users who wish to opt-out of the Google Analytics Advertising Features can download and install an add-on for their web browser. Learn more about the Google Analytics opt-out and how to properly install the browser add-on here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/181881?hl
Email: [email protected]
We aim to ensure your query is responded to and resolved in a timely and manner.
Last updated: December 16th, 2023